Beta Form

         I managed to create my Beta version of my stick form in last night's IHC class.  Do I feel good about it?  Kind of yes, kind of no.  Yes because I have a Beta version to demonstrate next week.  No, because as much as it came together, I really wasn't "feeling it" if you know what I mean.  That's okay too, because again, this is a Beta... version 1.0.

        A lot of it has to do with how I'm feeling right now, which is very disconnected.  I'm physically present, but mentally I'm elsewhere.  As I was going through the different moves, I felt like they were connecting in a way that made sense.  Even experimented and threw in moves that I had a feeling weren't going to work, just for fun.  In the end though, I was definitely just going through the motions, putting something together to have for next week's deadline.  

        My form took a lot of inspiration from our schools stick form, with some added flair.  What I did take stock of was how certain stances felt really solid, where as some of my transitions I was definitely letting my centre come up and my momentum throwing me off balance.  I also have a lot of work to do with some helicopter like motions I've thrown in, and one move in particular where I shoot the stick out behind me (think pool cue sliding across the back of my neck), and then spinning it around to strike.  As of now I have a transition for this move, but it is feeling a bit off.  More work needs to be done to smooth this section out.

        All in all, Beta is done, and I'm sure I'll have a lot more tweaks to make before it is fully formed.  Hoping that some inspiration and connection comes back so I can really feel the form instead of just having something intellectually pieced together.

Comments

  1. The biggest impact on our Kung Fu will always be our mental state. Something that feels good today may feel horrible three weeks from now. This is why the physical repetition is so important for mastery. If we are keeping our physical constant but our perception is changing, we know our initial intent has evolved into something else. Remember, we always follow our intent.

    So if we wish to get our initial good feeling back, we either have to return to our original intent OR modify our physical to match our new intent. This is how we evolve as martial artists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember this is a Beta version and is the building blocks used to keep improving your form.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts