Weapon Personality

         After using the karambit for the last two years, I decided to switch things up and go back to my roots and use stick.  The karambit was a fun weapon, and maybe not the flashiest, but definitely helped me improve my foot work and closing the distance.  With the karambit I found myself very flowy, akin to Lao Gar.  This year with the stick, my form has turned into a type of Hung, with explosive movements.

        Funny thing is, I didn't intend for this to happen, it is just what came out as I was putting together the form.  I already know that I chose the right weapon for myself this year.  The stick is the first weapon we learn for a reason, because it translates to all other weapons, and because it is a larger, or longer weapon, it really enhances what we do, flaws and all.  That is exactly what I need right now to improve.  So here I am, with this awesome weapon.  Sure it may be "basic", but the stick can be very flashy when in the right hands... maybe not my hands, jury is still out on that.  I'm already noticing the impact the stick is having on my stances, my contraction and expansion, and as an overall extension of me.  As I continue on the next leg of my Kung Fu journey, I realize that the decisions I make are subconsciously driven.  There is a deep knowing, or understanding behind what I decided to do this year.

        As for the personality of my weapon, well, I'm sure in time it will make sense why it has presented itself to me in this way.  Perhaps the sharp and explosive movements are to help me better recognize my harmonies.  Either way, I'm going to have some fun developing this form further.

Comments

  1. What I saw looked great. But it will definitely be interesting to see how it develops through the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw a portion of it and is looking good. Looking forward to see the whole form!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts