Spinning back kicks make me dizzy

         In class we've been focusing on our spinning back kick, and this is something I have been doing outside of class for a while now too.  At home I have a nice heavy bag that I can pound on, and there is something to having a target that you are physically making contact with that helps with the kick.  I find kicking the heavy bag that my spinning back kick is much improved compared to throwing one in the air.  I even tried in last night class to set a visual target by using the person in front of me (sorry Todai Bjorkquist).  It still didn't help as much as I thought it would, my kicks were still being launched too soon and thus off target.  Then we practiced a drill where we were to stop a spinning back kick.  Again with a physical target that I was aiming at, my back kick became better... most of the time.  I found with a smaller target/smaller opponent, it was thrown off again.

        I went back home and I threw some more kicks, trying to figure out what exactly was the difference.  Here is what I have come up with:

-I have a physical target that provides me feedback when I hit it;

-my distancing is optimized when throwing the kick;

-I notice I fully turn my head to my target before launching my kick, something I am not committing to when throwing a kick in the air;

-more relaxed because no one is watching me.

        Now I'm not saying that these were all beautiful, perfect kicks, because they weren't.  I'd still hit my target sometimes with the ball of my foot instead of my heel, my main goal was to be square with my target, and achieved that every time.  So is it just a problem with visualization, or am I also timid about committing or even over-committing to my kick when I'm throwing it in the air?  More work needs to be done throwing this kick both against a heavy bag and just in the air.  I've definitely identified a couple of areas I can improve upon, I just need to take what I learn from hitting a target and apply that to kicking the air.

Comments

Popular Posts