I am a follower

         It may not seem like it, owning a business and all, but I am still a follower.  Sure leading is a position I tend to find myself in, but I am a follower first.  Even in business, I did years of following, absorbing as much information and experience as I could before taking one of the biggest leaps of faith.  There is nothing wrong with being a follower either, it is a place of great learning, of growth, and it is a place where we learn to be apart of a whole, and not just an individual.

        I'm not going to lie, in my professional life I've been tempted to going back to being a follower.  Not that following is easier, but it can be less of a burden sometimes.  As a follower, your role is that of support.  Sometimes a follower position can overlap with a leadership position too, but in a different way.  Followers help create the vision of the leader, but they are also there to gain valuable insight and to create a different perspective on things.

        Another way that I am a follower, and perhaps more important and more true to who I am, is that I am following a journey of self improvement.  One can argue that I'm leading, because I made the choice to better myself, but I assure you that I am very much following.  I am following the direction spirit/universe is setting before me.  Sure, I'm given options and from the options I choose which path to take, not unlike a fork in the road, but in the end I don't know the destination, I just trust the process.  I guess following has to do a lot with faith, whatever your faith may be.

        When it comes to my Kung Fu, I try to be an example, a leader, but I am still very much at the following stage of my journey.  I'm still looking to others to learn and to develop and hone my skills.  I imagine my Kung Fu will be another journey like that of my spiritual journey, that I will be following for years, and letting it lead me down various paths of self enlightenment.

Comments

Popular Posts