I am disciplined


         What makes someone disciplined?  Is it their commitment to a routine?  Is it their dedication to a certain practice?  Is it that they have a strong will?  Do I myself qualify as being disciplined?

        I  would say yes and no to all of the above.  I think all of these are good qualities, and ones associated with being disciplined, but just because you're missing a quality doesn't mean that you are not disciplined.  There are times when all of these things are in alignment, and there are times when you may be struggling and only one or two, if any of these things will apply.  That doesn't mean you're not disciplined, because I believe there is more to discipline than the above qualities.

        I struggle with routine, doesn't mean I'm not discipled, because I fit in what I need to in a different manner of time.  I struggle with dedication, could be because of the amount of stressors in my life, or mentally I'm feeling fatigued, but doesn't mean that I am not dedicated to improving myself.  I still strive to better myself daily, I just sometimes end up taking a few steps back or stalling from time to time.  Sometimes my will falters and I'll fall of the proverbial wagon, doesn't mean my will is not strong.  I think part of being disciplined is knowing that from time to time things will get in the way of what you're trying to accomplish and it is something you have to a) accept and acknowledge; and b) that you make the choice to continue on in the face of such "failures", instead of quitting all together.  I put "failures" in quotations, because they are not necessarily failures, just set-backs, or roadblocks that are inevitable on any journey of self improvement.  They truly become failures when we abandon our pursuit of self improvement, instead of seeing them for what they truly are, which is a learning opportunity.

        So am I disciplined in Kung Fu?  Absolutely I am, but that doesn't mean its been easy.  Kung Fu does mean hard work after all.  I always think back to my 2018-2019 year where I wasn't as disciplined in my pursuit as I am today.  Again, I had a lot going on back then and Kung Fu unfortunately was the thing at the time was easiest for me to put on the back burner.  I was starting a business, I was taking schooling, I was getting married, and I was in the middle of taking action in a lawsuit.  I didn't have the capacity at the time to have my discipline in Kung Fu to be the forefront for me, I had to have my discipline in the other areas of my life.  I haven't quit though, I'm still very invested, and disciplined in pursuit of my Kung Fu.

Comments

Popular Posts