My "Why" for Joining Kung Fu


         I'm sure I've told this story before in an earlier blog, from a previous year, but there have been some changes, so it's good to record where I am at now.

        Back in 2015 I suffered a health scare on New Year's Eve.  After a few months of physical recovery, and the better part of the year for my mental recovery, I was back on my feet with a new purpose.  I was 29 then, and even though I thought I was pretty healthy, and lived a healthy lifestyle, I realized that there will always be unexpected things that can happen, and take out an otherwise healthy individual.

        Having aways been interested in the martial arts, and by chance meeting Don and Kody at a fair in the pavilion in Stony, I thought, what was I waiting for?  The health scare put into perspective the choices I was making, s well as the choices I wasn't making.  So, I put my fears aside and signed up.  That was my original "Why".

        What has kept me involved?  Short answer would be to prove to myself that I can see this journey through.  I've been on a journey of self improvement for quite some time, and the funny thing about that, is that it changes.  The core of it doesn't, but through the lessons and experiences, it shifts.  I also liken this to an iceberg, what people see is me doing Kung Fu, what they don't see is all the benefits that I reap.

        Long answer, would be the sense of community, the community projects (Wude), the access to so many resources (ie. instructors and all other SRKF students and extensions), and the constant push out of my comfort zone.  Kung Fu has given me more than I ever dreamed it would.  Like Kat said, I just wanted to be a badass, and Kung Fu is teaching me to be a badass with a heart of gold.  

        The community aspect is so integral to the effectiveness of the school, as I'm sure that is how it was always supposed to be intended.  In a day and age where we are so divided and divisive over the political state, having a community to fall back on helps ones mental and emotional health; not only for me as an individual, but for the greater community.

        To sum up, I've stayed in SRKF because I have unfinished business with myself, and because I can't imagine walking way from all the people that make it special.


Numbers:

Km's-324

AOK's-107

PU/SU- 5155

DMH- 77

Monk Spade- 69

Sparring- 70 mins.

Comments

  1. Badass with a heart of gold! I love that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve never heard that story so I’m glad you told it again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts