Kwoon/Resiliency

        I definitely miss being in class when we have time away for holidays and breaks.  I miss the structure, and routine.  Most of all, I miss the people and connection.  Our instructors have said it a bazillion and one times, that the Kwoon is meticulously created and organized in a way to best influence our training, and I find that rings truer when I'm not there.

        I do alright at keeping up with my training when I'm not at the Kwoon.  I get my form reps in, work on my kicks, work on throwing combos on the heavy bag, in general play with my Kung Fu.  However, I do notice that the environment I'm in can be distracting, and often times, my environment is where it is most convenient for me to train.  Sometimes that's at home in the basement, in the living room, or at work between patients.  My space is much more limited, so often I end up working on smaller pieces of things.  What I'm getting at, is that I didn't fully realize how much I was taking the Kwoon for granted, and the impact it has on my training, my mental, and emotional health.

        On the other hand, on the topic of resiliency that we have been bringing up, being able to adapt to our situation and still thrive comes to the forefront of my mind.  As much as I appreciate the Kwoon, and the set-up, and the people, I know it is important to my self development to adapt to my situation and find a way to improve with the tools I have at my disposal, regardless of my circumstances.  There are going to be times that I'll have limited space.   There are going to be times when I will be sick, or injured.  There are going to be times, where I won't have my usual time to train, etcetera, etcetera.  Being able to adapt will breed resiliency in my training and in my growth.


"No one escapes pain, fear, and suffering.  Yet, from pain can come wisdom, from fear can come courage, and from suffering can come strength- if we have the virtue of resilience."

                                                                                                                             -Eric Greitens, Resilience

"Resilience is the ability to attack while running away."

                                                                                    -Wes Fessler

Numbers:

Km's- 474 km's ran/walked/hiked

AOK's- 166

PU/SU's- 7,385

DMH- 110 reps

Monk Spade- 112 reps

Sparring- 140 minutes

Comments

Popular Posts