Creating our Forms


         Admittedly, my first 2 years in the IHC was a big fail (and subsequent learning opportunity) for my weapon form.  Now, I can contribute this to 2 reasons: 1. being that I didn't have a lot of prior knowledge; and 2. my weapon being the katana, has 2 very distinct spectrums on the internet-- karate style which is extremely flashy, but not very practical; and traditional (think Kendo), which there aren't really any forms, mostly just focus on single strike finishers.  So not yet having a lot of knowledge to pull from my own martial art, I was left to look at either these really flashy, throw the sword behind your back and catch it Karate guys, or traditional swordsman who solely focused on defeating an opponent with one strike, which isn't very exciting to watch.

        I do plan on revisiting the Katana, perhaps for next year (thinking of utilizing both the sword and sheath simultaneously), to redeem myself, and to prove to myself that I can come up with my own creative form with this weapon.  Thinking about it, I was also pretty nervous about failing in front of a room of senior belts, and so kind of quit before even really trying.

        On that note, I am so proud to see my teammates, especially the ones new to the IHC, for creating their weapon forms.  They are truly inspiring, and I wish I could have had the guts that they have when I was first starting out.  I know I have an easier time of creating my forms now, because I have been doing this for 5... 6 years now.  I have a lot more knowledge and experience to pull from.

        Looking forward to seeing how everyone's forms develop, as well as my own.  I've been really connecting with the Monk Spade, which is also important in developing a form.  Katana, I'm coming to master you next year.


Numbers:

Km's- 411 km's ran/walked/hiked

AOK's- 139

PU/SU's- 6,325

DMH- 95

Monk Spade- 94

Sparring- 110 mins

Comments

Popular Posts