Evolution of Sparring and Thoughts About it


         I'm still relatively new to sparring all things considered.  Initially when I was able to spar, COVID happened, and then social distancing, so my first bit of sparring came as a green belt.  I was definitely in the mindset that fast and hard was the way to go to overwhelm my opponent.  Although I would classify myself as a more aggressive sparrer, I have definitely learned to take things slow.

        When practicing in class like we have been, I've been really trying to tune in to my partners and gauge where they are at, letting them dictate the pace, and at times, either trying to get them to slow down if they're too amped up, or encouraging them to engage more if they are timid.  We're here to learn after all, so I'll purposely open up my guards, not as a trap, but to help them recognize an opportunity.  As for those training partners that are on par, or above my level, I've made it a habit to really focus on their body movements, to better recognize what strike they are throwing.

        It helps that I'm not afraid to get hit.  A big part of that is the fact that I know I'm never in any danger in this setting.  Like someone trying to scare me; I don't scare easily because I know there isn't any actual danger.  Same with sparring.  I know there is no real intent to hurt me behind my partner's actions, therefore I have no fear of getting hit.  That and my body language would for sure change if I ever was in a situation where the other person was trying to hurt me.

        Overall, I think I'm a decent sparrer, but definitely have a long ways to go.  I think an area I need to work on is allowing myself to have more fun with sparring and stop being so rigid.  I don't mean rigid as in I'm staying stationary, but rigid in my combinations.  I can afford to shake things up more and try ridiculous combinations that I know may fail.

        I'm always up for a round of sparring if anyone is interested.  I know the only way I'm going to improve is to keep putting myself in that situation with people of all skill levels and styles.

Numbers:

Km's- 433

AOK's- 146

PU/SU- 6615

DMH- 100

Monk Spade- 101

Sparring- 140 mins

Comments

  1. I'll spar with you anytime! It's one thing I really need to work on, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts