Being a Good Bad-guy

         Going over a drill in class Monday I was noticing the way my partner was throwing their punches at me.  The drill was practicing the outside forearm block into sticky hands where we throw their arm into their groin, and then we progressed from there.  After a few times going through it, I noticed something when making contact with the forearm block.  So, the next time they threw their punch, I stood their and didn't move.  The punch wasn't anywhere near me.  They immediately realized what they were doing and we continued on and things felt better.  

        We added more to the technique, and again, as the punch was coming, I felt something off again.  So, the next time the punch came at me, I stood their and didn't do anything.  The punch was going off towards my left shoulder.  No need to perform the technique, for there was no danger.  Again, my partner realized where they were aiming and adjusted and things went more smoothly after.

        This made me much more aware what I was doing when it was my turn to throw a punch at them.  First making sure that my distancing was right so that I'd hit them, and secondly, that I was aiming at their centerline.  I know I've been too nice in the past as a bad-guy and not connecting, slashing, aiming off target, and what a disservice that is to my partner.  

        What I realized is this:

        1. Being a good bad-guy helps you and your partner, because the technique will work better (as intended)

        2. There are opportunities everywhere to work on other parts of Kung Fu when training techniques like this, like your distancing, footing, your punches, etc.


        Moral of the story, be a good bad-guy, your Kung Fu will thank you for it.

Comments

Popular Posts