Giving 100%


         Whether it's spoon, forks, full cup, empty cup, or any other analogy, we've all had times where we've worked with more or less.  Over the years I've really dialed in to my state of mind and body, and can identify when I've done too much, or when I have more to give.  The important thing, is that no matter the state I am in, I'm giving 100%.

        This is something I learned about recently.  One reference was in regards to relationships (specifically couples), and the other to the individual's state of being.  When it comes to couples, the person was talking about times that both of you are giving 100, sometimes one partner can only give 40%, so the other partner carries the rest.  The talk about individuals and their state of mind and body, again references a percentage of what they have.  In both cases, the interviewees agreed that these people were still giving 100%.  If all you have to give is 40% because of xy&z circumstances, then you're still giving your all.

        I think this is a really important distinction to make.  Many of us tend to have an all or nothing mentality.  It is something that is relevant to our kung Fu training, especially those times when we don't feel like going to class or training.  I've had those times.  I had that moment yesterday, because I was just dead tired.  I was probably running around 50% yesterday (kind of arbitrary I know, but bare with me), and for a moment a thought popped up of I can just skip class tonight.  I knew I'd regret such a decision, so despite my physical and mental state, I went anyways.  Guess what?  It was a great class and I felt better for it.  Not only that, but I'm ahead of where I would be if I hadn't.  

        Guess what I'm trying to convey, is the next time you aren't feeling yourself, or feeling 100% (contagious pathogens excluded), and you show up anyways, then you're giving your 100.  You're giving your all, and you shouldn't beat yourself up over not performing.  I know I've done this many times in the past, because I hold myself to such high standards, but I am realizing that it is these choices that I'm making when I'm not my best that are much more significant to my development and training, compared to the times I show up feeling 100.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts