Feeling the flow of energy

         There's a reason I chose Lung for my hand form this year, it was to help develop my internal energy focus while flowing through a form.  The value being that I can take what I learn and apply it to my external and harder forms.  I'll start off this form by creating and playing with my energy ball, a way to create the sensation I want, and to tune into my energy.  Once I've achieved this feeling, for me it is a warm sensation and kind of tingly like static, that I can then begin the form.

        Now, I have found I am able to keep this connection throughout most of the form; however, the transition from a pushed-in-horse with the push, to a cat stance with the scissor trap has been giving me trouble.  I completely lose the sensation during this transition.  Through some guidance and one-on-ones, I think I've found the issue.  One is with my timing for sure, of the scissor technique and how my hands and hips finish.  The other, is my intention.  I was looking at the transition as a break in flow, going from one direction to facing another.  In reality, as my conversation with Sifu Brinker pointed out, is that the flow is still very much there.  In shifting this paradigm, I am starting to rectify the timing issue.  It is by no means perfect, but I have definitely discovered something playing with it more this morning.

        While going through this transition, and playing around with how the energy feels and the motion, I discovered that if I feel like I'm scooping or maybe more accurately throwing the energy, like doing a throw instead of a trap, that I'm able to transfer the energy in the direction I want to go.  I'm talking about the feeling as opposed to the physical technique.  I'm still performing the technique like it should be, but energetically I've shifted the feeling.  This has helped me stay better connected to the feeling.

        My next step is transferring this feeling into my whole body, which is going to be a lot trickier.  Right now, I can maintain that static feeling of energy throughout my upper body, but trying to sense it in my lower body is difficult.  Lung has a lot going on with the upper body/arms/hands.  There is obviously a lot going on with the lower limbs too, but I feel it more in the upper, and so I direct a lot of my energy focus there.  Something to think about and work on more.

Comments

Popular Posts