Beating my head in with a stick

         With the Tiger Challenge coming up in a couple of weeks, I've been really trying to smooth out my Stick form, and I've been really fighting it.  Bit frustrating since this time last year, my Karambits and I were getting along just fine.  The form I've pieced together feels more rigid and restricted, not to say that there isn't a flow in there, but compared to my form last year, it feels more confined.  Could be that the longer weapon is just really showing the flaws in my form that I'd rather ignore, but I do also feel like I've "trapped" myself, my energy in particular.  

        It's in my nature to be more explosive and expansive, and I have put together a form that is much more subdued.  Ironic, because I chose Lung, which is the opposite from what I'm describing, and yet, I can still feel my energy in that form freely flowing out.  I may need to readjust my viewpoint when working with my weapon, but as of now I'm having a hard time being in harmony with it.

Comments

  1. If you haven’t already, one thing I would suggest is to just get silly with it. Maybe pick some outrageously ridiculous music and do it to that….or tie some scarfs or tassels to the ends….see what happens. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something to think about is how does your energy release feel with the school’s stick form? I like the silliness idea as a way to disengage your brain a little and maybe loosen up your upper body. Your Karambit form had a lot more expansive movements where you slice through something, and now you have a weapon that has a definitive end. I’m a visual person, and so I would maybe also suggest you “see” your energy flow through your stick and out of the end, if you can. Just a few thoughts…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it feels good in some areas and constrained in others. I feel like I took the parts that feel more constrained and put those in my forms 🤣

      Delete
  3. I've never really focused on flow with the school stick form so I needed to pick up my stick and move through the school form after I read your blog. Thinking about flow brought me to the back end of the stick and how it connected to the next move. I became more aware of the stick as a whole. Maybe that will help...?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts