24 Hours of Silence

         Yesterday I participated in 24 hours of silence.  It was part of my homework for my Yoga training, that we had an extension on.  On the surface, not speaking for 24 hours doesn't seem that complicated, but it was difficult.  The hardest part is "involuntary speech", by that I mean automatic responses to questions, or even just when words come out and you didn't really mean to talk.  For me it was talking to my dog, and talking to myself that were the areas I caught myself wanting to say something.  I think throughout the entire day I did say three whole sentences, but they were accidental.

        We really do rely on speech as a major way of communicating, and something I take for granted.  When my partner had questions that needed answering, I did resort to texting (thank you technology); otherwise I had to use gestures or some signing to convey my words.  Simple act of saying "I love you" was reduced to sign language, but that really had me contemplating the value and depth of those words.  Do I say those three words enough?  How much emotion is behind them when I speak?

        I found myself really wanting to use my voice, especially since I told myself I couldn't.  To remain silent was difficult, and yet it made me notice the amount of things I say that aren't adding value.  I for sure speak at times for the sake of saying something, but there is little value behind those words.  Not that I think I talk a lot to begin with.  Listening to others conversations really gave me time to listen, and not just listen to respond.  It also made me very aware of the thoughts in my mind, and had me focus on what was going on internally, and having to work through those strands, rather than just spurting something out to someone or myself and leaving it.

        I'll be writing an essay on this later as part of my homework, so I'm sure there will be loads more to talk about, which I will share later.

Comments

  1. I find this exercise very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The UBBT had this as part of it’s requirements, as well as spending a day in a wheelchair. There was a third part of this empathy training but I cannot remember what it was at the moment. It really makes one appreciate the challenges some people have to endure on a daily basis. Good on you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wheelchair exercise would be a good one for sure. Did the third one have to do with sight?

      Delete
  3. I have attended intensive retreats where the entire week was spent in 'noble silence.' It is a fantastic way to reground yourself and get into the present moment. Noble silence is not meant to be an act of discipline but rather an act of mindfulness. When you have to talk you do in a slow, quiet voice so as not to disturb others. Mindfulness is about everyone and we should do what we can to help each other maintain that state. If we all did this 24/7 we would be better listeners and the pace in our lives would be substantially slower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know in the Yoga community there are 10 day mediation retreats, where you are meditating a holding noble silence for the duration. It’s on my list, but not quite ready for something like that yet.

      Delete
  4. I also find this exercise very intriguing! I made my boys both read your blog and we will be trying a similar experiment! Thank you ( this is Laura by the way)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts