Effortless Effort/ How Kung Fu Permeates My Everyday

        I've been having a struggle with a certain technique.  It's been frustrating actually, but I'm still hacking away at it regardless.  It is the tiger claws in Lao Gar, which we perform a few times throughout.  When I watch the Sifu's perform the technique, it looks so easy and effortless.  Yes, I know they've been practicing it FAR longer than I have, but for such a small piece of a larger form, it sure is difficult to get right.  Just when I think I'm getting a handle on it, something else gets added that I was missing from the technique.  Perhaps one day, all of the effort I'm putting into this technique will make it look effortless like my Sifu's.

        Now, I know I've talked a little about this in the past, but having practice more, I'm seeing how Kung Fu is helping me with my golf swing.  I've been playing golf far longer than I've been practicing Kung Fu; however, Kung Fu has definitely helped me with my swing.  The golf club is akin to using a weapon (and yes, it can also easily be used as a weapon (perhaps next years weapon form...).  What I'm getting at is that it is an extension of my body, and really exposes my weaknesses.  Perhaps even more so, because my target, the golf ball, will show me where I've gone wrong.  This usually presents in a wicked slice that ends my ball up in the trees... or someone's backyard... sometimes even their front yard.  There is a lot going on in the golf swing, and our harmonies have a lot to do with it.  My feet need to be set up in a good stance, and my hands holding the club lightly to allow the wrists to break naturally.  My knees bend slightly as my right elbow bends when I draw the club back.  I twist from the hips, and also engage my downswing with the hips and allow my shoulders to follow.  Internally I must have intent with how I want to play the shot, and have the confidence behind my swing.  All of these pieces have to align to get a good golf shot that hits the ball straight and at the intended target.  My upper body doesn't finish until stance is complete.  More I think about it, Kung Fu has aided me in many aspects of my active lifestyle.  I find myself more and more thinking about these things with any physical activity I've been doing.

Comments

  1. Qi cannot flow through a tense, knotted muscles or a locked joint. Nor can it flow through a limp wrist or flaccid belly. One must balance effort and effortlessness. The key is to relax yet be sensitive at the same time. As the body relaxes, the mind becomes tranquil, aware, and alert.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts