Good news

        I got some good news earlier this week.  After having my chest CT angiogram and meeting with my cardiologist, it looks like I get to avoid surgery- for now.  I guess echocardiograms can be limited in imaging, and because they take an image on one plane, it can give false readings.  According to the echo, my aortic root was measuring over 50mm with the threshold for surgery being 53. The CT showed a very different story.  I am relieved, because I was dreading having to go through that, but for now we just get to monitoring.

       Even though there is no longer any urgency and the initial readings were false, I am still adopting the changes I have made to my lifestyle and training.  I’m focusing a lot more on whole body mechanics and strength.  More body weight and compound movements for my physical training.  Stress reduction has still been a focal point: breathing exercises, meditation, and Tai Chi has really helped.  Sleep  (albeit is off because of baby) is also a main focus; and although my quantity has gone down, the quality has gone up.  Lastly is the tweaks made to my diet.  This is more about cutting out/moderating rather than adding.

       Health issues or not my focus is still on longevity in my training and in life.  To do this I had to get my ego out of the way, because my ego wanted to lift heavier, run faster, jump higher.  I’ll be 40 this year, and even though age is just a number, I also realize that my body isn’t 20 anymore. As such I need to change my approach to how I use my body.  I still push myself and test my limits, just a little more cautiously.  Gone are the days of climbing up on the playground equipment and jumping off the tallest structure.  Admit it, we all did that at some point.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts