Injury and other thoughts

         I recently injured my right shoulder, and then a few days later tweaked my lower back on the left.  I know the connection between the two, and have been taking steps to recovery.  Back is doing better, not 100% yet, and my shoulder is still giving me some grief, but is also improving.  I already have acupuncture, massage, and chiro booked.  Seen a physio already, and have been doing exercises and stretches w/ heat to help out.

        Those who have dealt with injuries/are still dealing with injuries, know how frustrating it can be when your body isn't moving the way you're used to moving it.  However, there is a gift hidden within the injury, and that is insights into how our body's move and support our structure.  Also, if you aren't getting injured, you're not training hard enough right?  My injuries have caused me to slow down my motions, and to really focus on the way my body is moving.  Sure, there are a few movements that I'm making from compensations that aren't ideal to my form, but on the other side, I'm finding it easier to find my center and lower it to support my stances, and at times be more aware that I can't get my center to where I want it.  What I'm getting at, is that my injuries have made my eye for detail that much better.  You really have to listen to what your body is telling you when you're injured.  Yes, you won't be able to do everything due to the injury, but it brings awareness, so that hopefully when you're able to move more freely, you know where you need to get to.

        From an internal perspective on my health, I've found myself a bit overwhelmed and short-fused.  More irritable to be precise.  Part of this could be the pain and lack of quality sleep because of it; but also from being people'd out.  I've been finding myself really drawn to the idea of getting away to nature and having time to reflect.  More meditation and mindfulness has been on my mind.  A need to slow down further, take some breaths, and sit with what I've been feeling.  I have big hopes for the Year of the Dragon, but I know that can be easily derailed if I'm not cautious with my internal dialogue.

        


Numbers:

Km's- 3505 km's ran/walked

AOK's- 1491

PU/SU- 54,480

Lung 1- 724

Stick- 738

Sparring- 840 mins.

Comments

Popular Posts