I am meditative


         I think the majority of people think of a Buddhist monk, with their prayer beads, sitting very still, when they think of meditation.  It's a very distinctive image that anyone reading this will picture.  For me, although I do engage in that kind of meditation, my biggest form of meditation, or at least something that gets me into a meditative state, is running.  

        How the heck can running be meditative?!  Best way I can explain it, is that, when I find my rhythm, my breath, and my pacing, my mind turns off.  I'm talking to the point where I am both aware and unaware of my surroundings.  I have enough awareness that I'm not running into anyone, tripping over my feet, or darting into traffic, and yet my mind is empty... or I'm daydreaming and controlling the dream as I run.  Even in an active state, one can be meditative.  Meditation is just concentrating your thoughts on one thing really.  It is about being wholly present in the moment and shutting out distractions.

        Forms are similar for me, though not to the same extent as running.  Only difference is length of time.  I have more time to steady my mind running, than I do with our forms, even a long form like Da Mu Hsing.  Same concept though, whatever I'm working on in my forms, that's where my concentration goes, and I start to shut out everything around me.  Still aware of my surroundings, but it becomes a sort of white noise as I concentrate on my movements.

        I do balance these sort of more active meditative states, with a more traditional meditation.  A more Yin approach than the Yang approaches I laid out before.  This is the sitting or laying, and focusing on my breathing kind of meditation.  Actually, breathing is a big part of meditation regardless.  Breathing helps to anchor our thoughts.  When I'm in this state, sometimes I will solely focus on breathing, but other times I will think on my place in the world/universe and really follow that energy.  Sort of reflective meditation I guess.

        Being meditative isn't just one thing, it's all of these things and can also be none of these things.  It's a state of mind, truly, as opposed to an action.  I am meditative.

        

Comments

Popular Posts