New form who dis?

         I am venturing once again to create a new weapon form, and although it may not seem like much of a change, I'm already facing some challenges.  For this year's weapon form, I'm introducing a second karambit into my form.  Simple enough right?  WRONG.  I did not anticipate how much of a struggle placing a weapon in my off hand would throw off my harmonies.  With the form I created last year, my 'free' hand was utilized by blocking and and 'climbing' with monkey paw.  Putting a blade in that hand has really disrupted the balance between striking and blocking/redirecting.  I am utilizing some similar moves from my previous form that fit the two blade style well, but my flow is something that I worry about.  My main worry, is that with a more aggressive form, it will cause me to lean into my strikes to the point that I lose my grounding.  I already tend to want to plough through my targets.

        On the bright side, my weapon is amplifying my weaknesses in a good way.  That tendency to lean too much into my strikes is really apparent in this form, and gives me something to work on.  I've really grown to love all my forms because of this reason.  It is also the same reason I probably wasn't as fond of them in the past, because who likes to look at the sucky bits?  Creating my own form gives me the opportunity to infuse my personality into my Kung Fu.  Even though we all learn the same techniques, we all do Kung Fu differently, it is the art part of martial arts.

        Looking forward to our class Thursday, and for those who have used dual weapons in forms before, I would love some tips and guidance from you.  See you on the mats!

Comments

Popular Posts