Five Minutes

         A big part of Kung Fu for me is what I do outside of the Kwoon, and I don't just mean form reps, kicks, techniques, etc.; it is my physical training that I do to aide and compliment my Kung Fu.  Every Monday and Wednesday before class I'm at the gym working on strengthening my body so that I can meet the demands of our training, and then a couple more times that week.  Along with strengthening, I've been working on my flexibility and mobility, which in my mind has really helped me improve my Kung Fu.  It allows me to get deeper into stances, forming a stronger foundation, and helps me execute my kicks better too.  Sifu Ryback and Sifu Hayes can attest to how stiff I was when I first walked into the Kwoon.

        Today I had my fitness testing with my personal trainers, and though I achieved a few new personal records, the one I'm most proud of, is my 5 minute forearm plank hold.  Five minutes is the 'max' time for fitness, anything over that is gravy.  Now, as I write this, I understand I'm showing my hand to Sifu Lindstrom who I challenged to see who could hold a forearm plank the longest, one of these days.  So how is me dong a forearm plank related to my Kung Fu?  The obvious answer is the core strength that allowed me to hold the plank for that amount of time is relatable to a lot of techniques that we use that need a strong core: scoot position, backwards shoulder rolls, 'turtling', being able to support weight on our abdomens, etc..   The not so obvious answer is the mental aspect to achieving this goal.  Training to accomplish that 5 minute hold is a commitment, and something I've been working at for the last 4 years, and meant training consistently to achieve.  It also requires mental fortitude to be able to push past the 'supposed' limits I place on myself.  To me, that's all apart of Kung Fu, or more appropriately, having a 'Kung Fu' mindset.  I had a goal in mind that I wanted to achieve, I set out to train, and did exercises that mindfully supported that goal.  I saw the value in strengthening this part of me and how it can positively impact my Kung Fu.  There's always that question of how can Kung Fu can benefit your life outside of the Kwoon, and I struggled with that question.  I had a hard time wrapping my head around how Kung Fu supports the rest of my life outside of the Kwoon, but now I am starting to understand.  I understood it in that 5 minutes today.

Comments

Popular Posts