My Journey so Far

         I've been thinking more and more about my Kung Fu journey, and what it is I hope to gain from it.  That answer has changed a few times over the few short years I've been practicing.  My answer to myself now, is that I want to move my body in ways that I haven't before.  There's been a lot more neuromuscular connections made since I've started, and each new experience tells me more about the state of my physical health; specifically, my joint health, which is something I want to prolong for a very long time.  I've seen my fair share of joint related injuries that I wish to avoid later in life.  I've also noticed a shift in my intent when training, I'm more focused on the details, trying to get the right feeling when I perform a move, versus just doing repetition after repetition.  There's still a lot to work to do, and sometimes it gets overwhelming the amount of information that comes at me, but I think I'm processing it well... in small pieces.  I've just become more mindful is what it comes down to; that and making better choices.  I had replied to Mr. Repay about how routine is something I struggled with, and it came down to just making better choices, and not necessarily having a routine.  Just choosing better choices for myself.  Like, I have some time free, I can get some reps in on a form, or a kick; instead of, I have more time to sit on the couch and scroll through Netflix.

        As far as my engagement, it still comes and goes.  Definitely more steady, but I have my weeks where I'm definitely less engaged.  Having team challenges and our classes most certainly helps; and also showing my friends a wrist escape or two helps me feel more engaged too.  Quick side story, I have a friend, he's a big guy of 6' 4", big ol' teddy bear, but obviously uses his size against his wife when they're play fighting, and she is 5' nothing.  Anyways, it's fun to teach her the little I know to help her gain advantage over him.  We all tend to get a laugh this way.  So, long story short, yes engagement can be better, but overall training is still going well.  Will give a numbers update next week.

Comments

Popular Posts