Weapons!

         I've really been enjoying the karambit, also known as the tiger's claw, this year.  I'm finding it much easier to move and flow, and in general, create a form.  As much as I love the katana as a weapon, because I love samurai, I found it difficult to create a form that was practical and exciting to watch.  One day I'll return to it.  I was really blown away with everyone's weapon forms, they are looking great.  Though having watched everyone else, mine seems short.  So I need to expand on my form.  I'm also changing my first move to incorporate a block and strike off the get go.

        When I first thought of it, I wasn't sure about choosing a weapon that requires close combat, however I find it actually really suits my style.  Since I know I need practice with my foot work, especially when closing distance, it's really spurred me to practice and improve on that aspect.  It's also forcing me to get used to the idea of advancing when there is an attack coming, instead of creating more distance, something that I believe will come in handy with sparring later on.  

        Last point I want to make, is that I'm incorporating movements into my form that I typically find difficult, as to get more practice in and improve.  Adding some open x stances, roundhouse, side heel, and spinning back kick.  I didn't want to shy away from movement that I don't like to perform, mainly because they are movements that aggravate my hips, and I really want to work on my hip mobility, and work on making those movements crisper.


P.S. Will have to give everyone an update on my numbers next time.

Comments

Popular Posts