Why Am I Doing This Again?

         I find sometimes when I'm practicing forms, especially if I'm just learning it, that I am more so mindlessly doing the movements to memorize the form, and well, to practice the movements to improve how they look.  Then later on, I start to question why I'm doing these movements.  Lately though, I find myself asking these questions earlier.  Having just started learning Long I and Da Mu Hsing V, I'm noticing that I'm looking for intent.  What is the intent of doing this movement.  What am I trying to accomplish here.  Some movements are more clear to me than others.  I guess I'm hoping that if I learn what the initial intent of the movement is for, that I can then form my own intent for why I'm practicing the movement. Does that make sense?

        For example, the monkey paw to the left and right in Da Mu Hsing V, I'm not clear on what those movements are accomplishing, so my own intent is off.  Don't get me wrong, I think the movements are really cool, and I love anything monkey or mantis, but why these movements.  Then there are times I get my aha moments, like practicing Long I.  The high rising block with the uppercut.  It felt so weird for me, because the uppercut didn't have the rotation; or so I thought, until Sifu Brinker explained to me that the rotation came from the hips in that movement, from horse stance to what I think is a tiger stance.  Then playing around with it, I really started to feel that rotation and how it impacted that punch.  That then lead me to a glaringly obvious truth that's been smacking me in the face all along, was that these forms are teaching my body how to move harmoniously as one.  I may not notice it all the time, but in that instance it clicked for me.

        Seriously, though, what are the monkey paws in Da Mu Hsing V accomplishing?!


NUMBERS: 3400 Push-ups/Sit-ups

                       96 Acts of Kindness

                        19 weapon

                        3 lao gar 1&2

                        50 pull-ups

                        51 Km ran

Comments

Popular Posts