Nero

         I lost a friend today.  More than a friend actually; he was family.  I may have only gotten four short years with him, but they were full years filled with many fond memories.  To some it may have just been a pet, but to me he was more family than some of my actual family is.  He was always there for you when you needed him, in the smallest of moments to the biggest of moments.  Nero was the kind of dog that loved his people so much, that he just had to always be around you and make sure he could see you.  Yes, that meant when you were on the toilet, he would use his snout to slide the door open.  He was so full of affection.  In fact, cuddling was his favourite thing to do.  It was when he was happiest.  A true gentle giant, standing nearly 5' 10'' when on his hind legs.  A big, black dog that made people who didn't know him nervous, until they got to know his kind nature.  

        It's a sad day, however, am I grateful that he got to go in the comfort of his own home with his people with him.  I am grateful that it was quick, and that he didn't have to suffer long.  He can chase those bunnies all he wants on the other side.  I am forever grateful for the love he gave me.  I'll miss the smile on his face and the tail wags he gave me each time I came home, but I'll always have my memories of him, and will see him in the empty places within my home he used to fill.  For anyone who is a pet owner, I urge you to give your pet a hug, some pats, maybe even a treat.  Think about how much they give, how much they enrich your life, because we as pet owners know that our time is always so short with them.  There is a saying that states, "Pets may only be part of your life, but you are pet's whole life."  I hope I gave him the best life I could.  He reminds me to be a better person.  To be kinder, caring and more understanding, for life is short.




Comments

Popular Posts