Fancy, Flowing Footwork...Something I Don't Have, Yet

         You'd think with all the running I do, that I'd be better on my feet; but sadly that is not true.  Footwork is something I've been putting a lot of effort into, and even then progress has been slow.  I even go as far as performing my forms without any of the upper body movement.  Working on my hip mobility has definitely helped, but getting that upper and lower body in harmony is still something I struggle with greatly.  Getting into my stances feels like placing my feet in cement at times; sacrificing speed for "proper" form.  However, having said all of this, I'm happy to continue putting in the time for this foundation, both literal and figurative.  Having that connection with the Earth below me is so beneficial.  A certain control comes with it, when you can feel the ground beneath you.  Being grounded, again, both literally and figuratively is essential, not just when practicing Kung Fu, but in day-to-day life.  

        I chose the Karambit as my weapon this year for a reason.  For those of you that don't know, the Karambit is a curved blade, about the length of a knife.   Also known as a Tiger claw, it can be used to slice and to tear, much like a claw, but not so much to stab.  Since it is a weapon that is meant for close combat, it will require me to have the fancy footwork I need to close the distance, close off my target and strike.  Hopefully in the coming weeks, I can post a video of how my form is progressing.  Til then.

Comments

Popular Posts