Feeling How Other People Look

        I'm gonna start off with something unrelated to the title of this post, just to clear my head.  My business received its first negative review today, and although I hope it will be, I'm sure it won't be the last.  The frustrating thing, other than the fact that people have to air out their grievances publicly, is that the situation was far removed from my control.  Basically the situation is the customer had to be rescheduled twice within two weeks.  The first time because our one massage therapists nan died and they took time.  The second, the therapist they were rescheduled with, is well into their second trimester, and as such took today off because they weren't feeling well.  I completely understand the customers side of it, I too would be frustrated if my massage was cancelled twice like that, but context is everything.  Anyways, I digress.

        Feeling how other people look.  I remember Sifu Hayes discussing this at the end of one our classes, a million years ago, long before the pandemic.  It really stuck with me.  Today, with my one-on-one with Sifu Brinker I was reminded how far I have to go to achieve that.  I'm acquiring my eye for detail, but for it is still external for me.  My eye for detail is being applied to viewing others and how they move, our why they move like that.  To put this into context, my discussion with Sifu Brinker was about Long 1 form, and I was picking apart just the first few moves.  Partly because things on video can be hard to gauge, and because it was a different way of moving for me, compared to our other forms.  I still however find it difficult to recognize the feeling of that detail within me.  Sure sometimes I'll throw a kick or a punch, or get into a stance and go, that felt really good, or that was definitely not good, but it's very sparse.  A lot of it feels like going through the motions of the forms.  So, back to the "feeling how other people look", that's what I'm striving for.  I want to feel in my forms, my technique, how others look while performing theirs.

Comments

Popular Posts