Deflated

               I’m feeling a bit deflated today, and a bit out of sorts.  Not a great place to be mentally right before the Tiger Challenge, but here we are.

               I got some heartbreaking news today. One of my staff’s dad passed away suddenly.  This is now the third death in the family, after having lost her nephews a year and two years ago.  I feel for them, and am also frustrated that I can’t do more than give my condolences.  Bereavement leave in Alberta and Canada is atrocious.  Other than the 3 days they can have, yes, only 3, there isn’t even paid leave set-up; unless of course your employer has short-term disability benefits, which I don’t.  I offer regular benefits.  Best I found was for them to go on EI.

               I care deeply for the well being of my staff, and its times like these that I feel powerless.  Time and space is mostly all I feel I can offer, though I’m trying to think of ways I can do more.

               As far as my training is going, physically I’m keeping up and am ready for Saturday, but mentally my hearts not really in it.  Perhaps that will change day of.  Kind of a downer blog, but I needed to clear my head a bit.

Comments

  1. Only 3 days is crazy. No wonder our society values money over happiness, that’s what our government is teaching us.
    She’s lucky to have an employer like you. Thanks for being a source and of positivity and caring in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She probably appreciates that you have looked into it a bit rather than just saying “you have 3 days”, it’s maybe not huge, but knowing that she works at a place with people who are caring and understanding might help even if it’s just a little

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts