Focusing Inward to help the External

         It can be really easy to get caught up on what's happening on the outside, that we tend to neglect what's going on within.  This very much relates to our forms.  Although I always try my best to pick something to focus on/work on when going through a form, regardless something gets missed, or something else slips.  I think a big one for me can be my hand positions.  I noticed in certain sections of Da Mu Hsing, which is the form I chose to work on, that my hands tend to get a little loose, as I work on other aspects.

        An example of this is at the start of DMH V, with the monkey.  I've been working on other connections in that part and have noticed my monkey hands/fists (?), have gotten sloppy.  I've been so focused on keeping my center low and connecting my hips and shoulders, that I have forgotten about what my hands should be doing.  I've since been correcting this.  

        What brought all of this on, was my attention to the inside feeling I get when doing my forms.  Sections that feel really connected versus sections that have a disconnect, sections I feel there is a lot of power versus sections where I feel my power isn't being transferred, etc..  I was noticing that something was off on my internal feeling when going through this section, and that's when I noticed that my hands were not supporting the rest of the technique.  It wasn't always like that, in fact for a while the technique was feeling good, and that didn't mean that my hands were doing what they ere supposed too, but the rest of it was feeling good.  Wasn't till I dug deeper that I noticed that something else was off.

        Looking forward to the Tiger Challenge as I polish this section up.


Numbers:

Km's- 1071 Km's ran, walked, hiked

AOK's- 379

PU/SU's- 16,164

DMH- 216

Monk Spade- 214

Sparring- 308 mins.

Comments

  1. This attention to the inner aspects of your energy creates infinite possibilities when it comes to tweaking your forms, especially when it comes to intent. Your energy should follow your intent (spirit with intent and intent with chi) so you can now experiment with shifting your intent in your form by doing something as simple as modifying your phrasing of techniques/grouping of imaginary opponents, and monitoring how that affects your chi and its release.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts