New(ish) Insights

             Another break-a-thon done, and I'm still thinking (and feeling) about it.  Yes, there were some unsuccessful breaks in there, but with it, a ton of knowledge.  That's the great thing about failing, it comes with learning opportunities, insights, and knowledge.

            First up, yes, I was first up to the plate in our class, but also included one of my failures.  I attempted the 4 board break again, because I'm ambitious and possibly masochistic.  First board was a right sided roundhouse, break, followed by a spin into a left side knife hand, no break.  Second attempt after a quick adjustment, and break, followed by a right sided palm heel, break, and lastly, a left side heel, break.  Most of my other breaks went okay, minus a ridge hand I attempted and failed out.  Still need to work that one out more.  My lovely wife was there to take some videos for me too, to review.  The reason why I didn't break the boards was down to a couple of things, DISTANCING; I jammed myself with the knife hand AGAIN.  Oh yes, second attempt at that combination, first was at the Tiger Challenge, and I hurt my shoulder as a result.  Though not to deter me, I attempted it again with mixed results.  The other, is balance, as was pointed out to me by Sihing Csillag.  I know this is something I need to work on.  After reviewing my video, I could see where I start to lose balance, and what I need to start working on to remedy it.  Part of it is going too much through the board and trying to regain and consolidate, the other part is fear of taking too long of a pause and making it look like separate techniques, so rushing it.  The failed ridge hand comes down to technique.  It was my first attempt at something like that, and i wasn't all that comfortable, nor confident at that technique, and yet I smashed my hand repeatedly into that board.

        I am looking forward to progressing with this part of my training.  I know I can successfully do a 4 board break, I just need to work on my footing some more.


Numbers:

Km's: 2728

AOK's: 1126

PU/SU: 43,520

Lung: 581

Stick: 584

Sparring: 695 minutes

Comments

Popular Posts