Getting agressive

         The last few classes we've been working on defense against a choke, and we were told that we need to be more aggressive with our techniques.  Obviously, still have control and don't hurt our partners, but also not to be gentle, and be more authoritative.  This lesson really helped me become more proficient with the technique and also presented me with more insight to other techniques we have learned.

        By being more aggressive, I'm learning how to defend myself in a more real way.  An obvious one, but also one that we tend to ignore.  We like our partners, and we tend to train in a way that is more comfortable for them, but not conducive to our learning.  Secondly, being more aggressive adds to the technique and the true intent of the technique.  For the specific technique we are learning, the initial breaking of the arms to bring the opponent in close, and the slap to the face to break their lumbar, were the biggest eye openers for me.  Then again last night, Sihing Csillag helped us with keeping control of our opponent, while still doing the technique with more haste.  The combination of all these things within just a few classes helped me be more authoritative, whilst maintaining control of my opponent, and made me feel more confident in my ability.

        These exercises had me thinking of the 5 techniques portion of the black belt grading.  Having watched and having been apart of those techniques, I feel I have a better understanding of what I need to do, when it comes my turn to perform.  I need to exercise power, authority, and some aggression, but with control.  Make contact with my training partner, not to hurt them, but to get them to do what I want. I need to control the situation, and get them to react in a manner that supports my goals.  Something that is missing from myself, and others that I have watched.  On both ends, I know I am too nice to my partner when performing a technique, and I'm too giving when on the receiving end.

        It's great to have people to practice on, and it's great that we have such mutual respect for one another.  We are in a controlled and safe environment, but we also need to utilize that to its fullest.

Comments

Popular Posts