I am a Student

         This one can seem pretty obvious, the fact that I'm a student of Silent River Kung Fu, but it runs deeper than that.  Sure ,yes, I am a student of Silent River Kung Fu, and I will be for years to come, but I am also still a student of Chinese Medicine, and of life in general. 

         I've been an acupuncturist for 12 years now, and would be considered an expert in my field, doesn't mean I've stopped learning.  On the contrary.  Besides the mandatory continuing education credits we need for our licensing, my biggest source of learning is through my patients.  I'm constantly learning about dis-ease and how it presents differently in people.  For example, neck pain, something I see a lot of in my practice, thank you phones and computers for forward head leaners providing me work.  Did I get you?   Are you leaned over your phone or computer with your head forward and down? There is a common condition called levator scapulae syndrome.  The levator scap. is a muscle that originates at the top of the scapula (shoulder blade), and runs up to the neck and inserts at C2-C3 vertebrae.  As the name suggests, this muscle helps elevate/raise the shoulder, like when you shrug, and also aids in turning the neck to the same direction.  Typically the way this pattern presents, is the classic "I can't make a shoulder check", because the range of motion (ROM) is limited and there is pain.  Usually turning your head the opposite direction also causes pain because it elongates the muscle.  Now, I had a patient recently that had levator scap. syndrome, but did not present the typical way.  For them, the pain was when they turned their head the opposite direction and stretched the muscle, otherwise ROM was normal, and no pain turning to the same side.  My treatment plan was still similar, but goes to show that there is always more to learn.

        Now for the obvious, that I'm a student of Silent River Kung Fu.  Have been since 2016 (?).  I believe that is accurate.  As a student my goal is to absorb as much information as I can in the time I am given, and then continue to work on the lesson at home.  I have to be attentive and listen to my instructors and follow their instructions.  I have to listen, not only to what they are saying, but also what they are trying to say.  Confusing?  It can be, but there are deeper lessons to be learned if you're willing to look beyond the surface.  The other part, possibly the bigger part of being a student of Kung Fu, is the work that I do when I'm not at the Kwoon.  I have to take the lessons I've learned and practice them to the point where they not only start to look good, but feel good, and in a way that they are applicable.  It is a lot of having to critique your own movements and in paying attention to how everything feels.  Like Chinese Medicine, I'll always be a student of Kung Fu.  There will always be new knowledge to gain, even when you become an "expert", there is always work to be done to perfect.

        Lastly, I am a student of life.  I am constantly growing as a person, and sometimes that means I slip-up and take some steps back.   I am forever learning and relearning lessons.  There is no linear path.  At times I can rush straight ahead, other times I come across a path with lots of bends, and sometimes I get turned around and lost for a bit.  The path can be smooth and set against a beautiful background.  Sometimes it can be very hilly and rough.  The path can bring many storms that need to be weathered.  It's all apart of the grander lesson.  Just when you think you've stumbled upon an answer, many more questions spring up.  As much as I like to just go with the flow and see where the current takes me, there are times I try my hardest to resist, those are generally the most trying times.  As always, the best thing I can try to do through all of it, is breath.  That is a lesson I need to remind myself of.  Is just breath.  I'm starting to ramble, so I am going to wrap this blog up.  

        I am a student, and always will be, because there will always be something else to learn.  I'm a believer in past lives, and I know I'm an old soul, yet I know I have much more to learn still.  

Comments

Popular Posts