It's in the Details

         A thought crossed my mind about forms, and how when we are learning and trying to perfect our forms, we want to be doing each repetition differently.  By this of course, we are trying to fine tune our techniques, making tweaks here and there.  The thought I had was, shouldn't we be striving to be the same rep after rep?  Striving to do a perfect technique every time of course, which if we are consistent, should look identical to the rep we did before.  I know this thinking is flawed, because a) when we are working on mastery, we are ever evolving in how we perform, and b) I am ever changing, so too will my technique.

        It is a funny little paradox, we perform rep after rep in hope of achieving mastery, to be able to do a side heel thrust perfectly every time as an example, and yet we are constantly tweaking how we perform the technique to achieve that perfection.  I don't think I ever perform the same technique exactly the same as the ones before it.  As I work on my forms now, I'm looking to increase the times a form, or a technique within that form, feels good.  It happened today when certain pieces were connecting really well and the form felt really good, which funny enough, made my body feel good the way it moved.  Makes me wonder when my body is yelling at me, what it is that I'm doing in my forms that it doesn't like.  Then I performed the form again, and I didn't get that same feeling.  Oh well, back to tweaking what I'm doing.  I also find myself really honing in on the details of the form, the way each individual part is moving and working to achieve harmony.

        Anyways, that's all from me.  Thank you for letting me word vomit my thoughts.  See you all on the mats again soon.

Comments

Popular Posts