The Digital Era; AKA.; Hiding Behind a Screen

          Modern society is built around social media.  Almost gone are the days of genuine human interaction, where we actually hold a conversation face-to-face.  Now, the majority of our exchanges are held in the palm of our hands.  I'm not saying technology isn't amazing.  Look what it has given us.  We have the capability to connect across the globe, and have communications with people that we most likely would not have been able to talk to otherwise; not to mention the amount of information that is being shared.So why do we feel more isolated?
          I bring all of this up because I have started a podcast focused on educating the public on the science and benefits of Acupuncture, called "What the F'acupuncture?!".  It's interesting to me, someone who generally doesn't like to speak up, or would rather take their time to really reflect on what it is they wish to convey before verbalizing, that due to social media I have more confidence in my otherwise muted voice.  Why is it though that I feel the need to hide behind a screen before gaining the confidence to speak freely and passionately?  Part of it is definitely fear.  Fear that no one really cares about what I have to say.  Fear that I won't sound intelligent.  Fear that I don't matter.  Regardless, when I get behind my phone, or in this case my laptop screen, and my fingers dance around the keyboard, I find my voice flow onto the digital paper with ease.  If only it were that simple when faced with actual human beings in front of me.
          Then there is the dark side to this very predicament that goes by many names: trolls; haters, bullies.  People who because they are anonymous, feel the need to add negative commentary to the masses.  In this way the digital world is much like the real one, full of wonders, and yet, marred by malevolence.
           Beyond this rhetoric lies the point that I'm trying to convey, but keep side-stepping, which is that the very thing that is supposed to make is feel more connected, usually doesn't, because it distracts us from reality.  It prevents us from engaging in meaningful interactions.  In a sense, social media keeps us confined to the virtual jail of mediocrity.  My conjecture would be that by allowing ourselves to focus more on our tangible lives, that we can begin to strive to the mastery we seek.  Mastery over ourselves.
         

Comments

Popular Posts