A Mind at War; AKA, Duality

          Like so many others, I'm caught in the busy traffic of life, operating at a speed that is in the end both unsustainable and dangerous, especially for myself.  I've burned-out before, and it was a lesson I won't soon forget.  Still, with various responsibilities tied to me, stringing me along like a marionette, I find myself caught in a fast-paced world, but never really accomplishing much.
          My mind is full of thoughts, all of which like to manifest minutes before sleep, clamouring for my attention.  Some thoughts are important, some strokes of genius, but often times unimportant, like I wonder who is going to sit on the Iron Throne at the end of Game of Thrones?  Actually, that is pretty important.... Seriously though, a lot of time is spent on thoughts that aren't pressing.
          Another siege within the battlefield known as my mind, is the duality between what tangible and scientific, compared to more ethereal and spiritual aspects of my life.  For me it is a pendulum that exaggeratedly swings from one end to the other, and hardly ever pauses in that sweet spot in the middle.  It wouldn't be so bad either if the motion wasn't so great.  Here I am, lost within my thoughts, at war with an image of myself as Nigel the scientist, and Nigel the spiritualist.  This all brings me to this point, meditation.
          As part of my personal requirements for the year, I've decided to meditate.  My aim is for 5 minutes a day, before bed.  My goal is to gain perspective, and to hopefully quiet my mind enough to listen for the wisdom within myself.  A week in and I am still having difficulties.  I find my mind floating off, again to other important thoughts, like I think Daenerys is going to rule the Kingdom.  Again, unimportant... kind of.  You get my meaning.  What I have found is, even though my mind wanders, I am still able to bring my focus back, usually to my breathing, and at the end of the session, I do feel more relaxed and ready to sleep.
          I'm excited to see where this practice will take me, and how it will work its way into all aspects of my life.

Comments

  1. Excellent post Mr. Bauer! Next time we are together I would like to share some Alpha Training theory with you. It may help you find ideal times to apply your meditation for maximum results.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts