The trap of Comparison


         Over the weekend I had my Yoga Teacher Training, and the overarching theme was how all bodies are different and thus, all bodies will look different when getting into the various postures.  However, on Sunday I definitely got into my own head about my body and how it moves.  I've been really working on my mobility and flexibility for a while now, and though I've made some progress, I definitely have a ways to go.  So as we were comparing different ranges of motion, and discovering the differences between tension and compression in the joints, I started comparing myself to my classmates, who are all very flexible.

        We then practiced a technique that I struggle a lot with.  Feeling worse about myself now.  Then we did a partner Yoga session, and that's what sent me over the edge.  Here I was feeling very self conscious about my body and how it moved, worrying about holding my partner back, and comparing my flexibility to theirs.  I didn't have a great time, and when we shared our experiences afterwards, I told them how I was feeling.  It wasn't the greatest way to end the weekend.

        This got me thinking of my Kung Fu, and how I don't ever really compare myself to others.  Sure the odd time, but it's more about how another student is moving compared to how I'm moving, if that makes sense.  I know my body is different.  I know I'm not as flexible.  Regardless, I can still make techniques work for me.  So what is the difference between the two things?  I guess on the surface, the main difference is the postures in Yoga.  Certain people are going to look a certain way, bend and twist deeper into a posture than others.  In kung Fu, the biggest differences I see on the surface, are the heights of the kicks.  In reality, there isn't a difference.  Just like how I make the techniques in Kung Fu work for me and the way my body is, Yoga postures are the same.

        In the end, I'm doing Yoga because I want to future proof my joints.  I want healthy joints so that I am still mobile, and still do things like Kung Fu, 10, 20, 30, infinity years from now.  I'm doing Kung Fu for the discipline, for the personal growth, and yes, also to keep my body feeling young.  There are countless other reasons, by the way.  What I'm getting at, is that my journey for both of these things are different from others'.  It is unique to my path, as is my body and my timeline for accomplishing these things.  It can be hard to not compare our journeys to others, but we're all trying to accomplish different things for different reasons, and we all have different life experiences that spur us on and shape how things unfold.  With this in mind, for anyone who is having difficulty with comparing themselves to others, I understand your struggle, but also want to let you know that you're doing great.

Comments

  1. Any type of training without clear intent leads to ego interference which is exactly what comparing yourself to others is - ego interference. Kung Fu is quite a bit easier to visualize and apply intent. Yoga is a bit more abstract so intent is not as obvious.

    I encourage you to apply intent to every Yoga posture you are performing. With clear intent (improving flexibility, etc), the ego becomes suppressed and it is much easier to participate without falling into the comparison trap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all of us have at some point compared ourselves to others. It is not a great way to train as we are all different. We need to compare ourselves to where we used to be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts