Taking it slow

         Lately I've been slowing down all my forms, as to get a better feel for them.  This is translating into getting more sensitivity in my movements, showing me where it is that I am in alignment between my harmonies, and where I am disconnected.  So far, this has really helped me improve in my hand forms the connection between my upper and lower half.  Specifically in my punches; I can really feel the punch being thrown off the hip as opposed to using muscle.  The sequence in Lao Gar 3 with the catching and throwing the ball feels much better now too.  An area I am finding difficulty with still, is the timing of the strikes with my stick.  I'm not sure if it is because I have a greater reach with the weapon, and the lag is that more obvious, or if my timing is still just really off with this movement.  I've been really toying with my timing differently, and sometimes I feel like I'm getting the hang of it, and other times it is way off.

        Slowing down my forms has also given me an opportunity to analyze my stances and make sure that a) I'm in a proper stance for the sequence, and b) that I am in alignment with my target.  Horse stance gives me trouble with this still, tending to wander a bit to far ahead usually in my transitions.  Another benefit of slowing things down has been improvement in my transitions.  The high back stance to stepping forward and punching in Da Mu Hsing 1 had been giving me trouble for a long time, and I'm finally getting better at this transition.  Slowing the part down has allowed me to feel the transition better, thus keeping my centre low and solid throughout.

        Next week I will be taking things slower... kind of, as I'll be in Kelowna for the week.  Look forward to hiking, biking, wine touring, and being on vacation.  There's always Kung Fu though, so I plan to get a few reps in everyday.

Comments

Popular Posts