Generations

It was an incredible experience to have Master Ben Ma in the Kwoon last week, and for him to demonstrate his Mantis Tai Chi.  Something he said really resonated with me that evening, and it's been said by Sifu Brinker too, that the knowledge they have, if it's not passed down, it's lost forever.  Those words had incredible weight, and I could feel the pressure.  It's humbling because it really dawned on me how lucky I am to have been present for such an experience, and what more, how luck I am to have joined the Kwoon that gave me that once in a lifetime opportunity.

I don't want to get overly political, but there is a lot of talk generationally, especially between the Boomer generation and Gen Z and Millenials; most of it revolving around the shape the world is in now.  It's true that the younger generations are frustrated, and as a Millenial, I understand that frustration; but like in our biology, to me it is only natural that things progress this way.  Like cells, the older generation goes through a learning process and hands down that knowledge to newer, younger cells.  This makes the organism stronger, because the newer cells are already a step ahead of their predecessors.  They already know the information that it took a lifetime for those older cells to learn as soon as they were born.  The Boomer generation, and the generations before are vital because of the knowledge they spent their lifetime acquiring, so that it could be passed down to the younger generations, so that we could have a head start and make our world a better place.  I forget this sometimes.  I appreciate the knowledge that is being handed down to me.  I appreciate that a 30 something white male living in Spruce Grove, Alberta has the opportunity to practice Kung Fu.

Comments

Popular Posts