Be Curious


"Be curious, not judgmental."

                            -Walt Whitman (Also Ted Lasso quoting Walt Whitman)


        I've been reminding myself of this quote during my training, and really at any point when I find myself running into a block.  Now the quote is in reference to how we treat people, a great lesson, but also applicable to how we treat ourselves.  

        When I'm practicing a form or technique and run into an area that doesn't feel right, or that I've been struggling with, I tell myself to "Be curious, and not judgmental" about it.  In the past I have been my worst critic, and still am to a degree, getting really down on myself when I was struggling with learning something.  Telling myself to be curious about it instead, helps shift my mindset into something more productive; rather than being judgmental with myself and being counterproductive.

        Allowing myself to be curious about something helps my eye for detail, as I can take a step back and attempt to be more objective with myself.  Why doesn't this technique feel right?  Are my hips pointed where they should be?  What if I tried this instead?  Lets change my intent behind this.  Being curious opens a line of dialogue and creates ideas and opportunities.  Being curious prompts questions that allow us to explore deeper beneath the surface.  It aids us in being reflective, and leaves our ego at the door, thus making us teachable and better students.  Being curious can also help us view others around us as learning opportunities, instead of just comparing ourselves to them.

        It is when we are judgmental of ourselves do we start to compare.  This is detrimental to our egos, our training, our ability to learn, and ultimately hurts us.  It hurts our relationships with ourselves, our instructors and our fellow classmates.  So, be curious, be kind to yourself, and leave the judgment to our teachers.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts