Am I managing?

         This past weekend I joined my dad in Arizona for some golfing.  We took a 3 day golf school to work on our swings.  Our instructor videoed our swings and showed us where we needed to improve.  For me, I was over rotating at the top of my swing, which was causing me to add extra movement into my downswing to get back to the ball.  Now he said I still struck it fairly well most of the time, because I was good at managing this extra movement; but then he said why manage when we can correct.  That really stuck with me, and made me think of the places in my Kung Fu that I may be managing parts of my techniques, instead of having good technique.

        I'm sure we all do this to an extent, and we may not even be fully aware of it.  If the end result looks good, how would we know otherwise?  When we throw a bad technique we chalk it up to something else.  What if it is something more systemic?  I think to my transitions between techniques, and how the issue is usually the technique that came before that is messing with my transition and the next technique.  The last technique is my backswing, and the next technique is my downswing in this analogy.  The transition is what happens in-between that is throwing off the next technique.  When I think about it this way, I think about the things I do to manage the outcome, instead of having a solid technique.  Nothing really new here, but it did really make me think about how I'm training.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts