Commitment

There is a quote I recently read that resonated deeply for me; "There is a difference between being interested and committed.  When you are interested you do it when it's easy.  When you are committed you do it no matter what."

I am chronically bad at adding too much to my plate, and part of that time it is out of interest.  I have decided not to rejoin the team next year.  This doesn't mean I'm abandoning Kung Fu.  Far from it.  I still plan on doing my push-ups, sit-ups, forms, weapons training, and acts of kindness.  Oh, and blogging... which I'm terrible at.  I'd also like to return to the team for the Year of the Ox.

I enjoy my training, I really do.  I've also had a lot of time to think about what I want out of Kung Fu and what it can do for me.  Admittedly, I haven't connected those pieces together yet.  Right now Kung Fu, earning a Black belt is a goal.  If I'm being honest with myself, at this moment it's a goal of interest.  My commitment is very much my business, and my personal health.  Everyone on the team is incredibly inspiring.  I admire everyone for going after their goal with such strong commitment.  I just need to take a year to discover what it is I want out of my training.

When I first started my reason for training was for my personal health.  I had a health scare and Kung Fu was always something I wanted to do but never committed to.  Almost 3 years later I have committed to it, however it is a commitment of training my body.  My health is doing great now, so that original goal has been somewhat lost.  So what do I want from Kung Fu?

Comments

Popular Posts