Sheathed Sword AKA. Frustration

          Last Thursday's IHC class we were asked to demonstrate our weapon form, and I crouched to the side and didn't perform.  Both years I have chosen the sword, a katana to be exact.  Growing up I watched movies and anime with amazing swordsman, and have always been fascinated by the characters and their skill.  Now, I know for entertainment there are moves that are flashy, and really just for show and have no practical use; however, it does make for a thrilling spectacle.
          The issue I'm having is creating a form that is both practical and entertaining enough to keep an audience engaged.  Looking on YouTube hasn't helped much.  On the one hand there are schools out there that teach practical sword skills.  Basically they go for a one hit kill.  That makes for a very short and unexciting form.  On the other hand, mainly found in Karate competitions, there are forms that are wildly ridiculous.  I mean, they are throwing the sword up in the air and catching it behind there backs, flipping the sword around, and yet never really using the weapon as a weapon.  By that I mean, there was never a 'kill' strike involved.
          This all leads me here, to this point, where I've sheathed my sword and have just focused on my hand form.  Creating one's own form is difficult.  I am only a yellow belt, and I know I still have a lot to learn for foot movement, followed by upper body movement, and internal intention.  Having said that, I am practicing a martial ART.  To me, my form should also be an expression of who I am as a martial artist.  Right now I don't have that image in my mind.

Comments

Popular Posts