Grinding Gears AKA. Off Track

          It's no secret that I haven't been keeping up with my requirements.  I hit a snag back in February and have been behind ever since.  I have no injury.  In fact, if my problem was physical it would be way easier for me.  No, my problem is mental.  Emotional turmoil is far more damaging than any physical ailment in my opinion.  Athletes and masters can overcome physical deficits with the power of the mind; but, when the mind is afflicted it can wreak havoc.
          I've fallen into a pattern I told myself I wouldn't fall into, and that is comparing myself to others, rather than comparing me to my former self.  It's a downward spiral.  One that bruises the ego and corrodes self worth.  It's a pattern that is damaging to my training in all areas, not just Kung Fu.  It is also a pattern that I have been having a difficult time climbing out of.
          Any suggestions?

Comments

  1. I have a tendency to do the same thing. Kung fu training has really brought this my attention big time. Unfortunately I don't have any magic fix for you. However I have learned that if I want to move forward I just have to keep pushing myself and reminding myself that we all have different abilities, strengths and areas where we struggle. Last year I started to practice embracing the moment. I have found this helps me to stay present which keeps my brain from working overtime and allowing ego to take over. Embrace where you are at and what you are doing in any given moment. And feel gratitude for the lessons learned and gifts received. Your journey is unique and not meant to be the same as the person next to you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts